Thursday, March 13, 2014

Teach us to pray: 8

Praying with the Bible: Lectio Divina (For more about this technique see here.)

Sit quietly and be aware of coming into the presence of God. Ask for God's help as you read so that you can hear his voice.
Read the passage several times slowly.
As you read , be aware of any particular word or phrase which stands out for you.

Repeat that word or phrase to yourself over and over slowly, like a mantra. Allow yourself to be aware of any thoughts or associations that come to your mind as you repeat the words and just stay with those thoughts. As your prayer time ends, be aware of what thoughts or questions you might be taking away from it, and thank God for these.

Psalm 138

I give you thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart;
   before the gods I sing your praise;
I bow down towards your holy temple
   and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness;
   for you have exalted your name and your word
   above everything.
On the day I called, you answered me,
   you increased my strength of soul.


All the kings of the earth shall praise you, O Lord,
   for they have heard the words of your mouth.
They shall sing of the ways of the Lord,
   for great is the glory of the Lord.
For though the Lord is high, he regards the lowly;
   but the haughty he perceives from far away.


Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies;
you stretch out your hand,
   and your right hand delivers me.
The Lord will fulfil his purpose for me;
   your steadfast love, O Lord, endures for ever.
   Do not forsake the work of your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment