A message from the Loaves and Fishes Foodbank
TO THE LOAVES AND FISHES FOODBANK DONORS – FEBRUARY 2016
Firstly and most importantly thank you for the amazing support you give to our small independent foodbank (Loaves and Fishes) here in Sevenoaks. Our families’ everyday lives are changed for the better because of your generosity.
Your donations, be they regular or occasional, the continuing endeavours of our volunteers who manage the foodbank week by week and the construction of a purpose built foodstore in St John’s church hall means that we are now supporting up to 40 families in the district on a regular basis.
It is now almost five years since the Loaves and Fishes foodbank was set up with the following aims:
- to provide basic food to families with children who have been recommended to us by a ‘bona fide’ source, until they no longer require assistance, and to be prepared to help other people on a one off emergency basis if resources allow;
- to operate the foodbank in as simple and uncomplicated way as possible - FOOD IN (from donors) and FOOD OUT (to families).
- to offer cups of tea and a listening ear to anyone who might appreciate this service but on the understanding that our volunteers are not professional counsellors or social workers;
- to be non-judgemental of recipient families or of any government or other agencies involved in supporting them;
Today the foodbank finds itself the recipient of much goodwill and support from people in our community of Sevenoaks and surrounding villages. In the light of this experience and looking to the future:
- the foodbank continues to need and to welcome donations of non perishable food;
- the foodbank does not require further financial contributions for the time being. Thanks to the generosity of some of our donors we have a very healthy bank balance which, for the foreseeable future, is sufficient to buy food when stocks are low. This means that our families can always be provided for;
- the foodbank currently supports up to 40 families – some long term and others only for a short time. This is the maximum we can manage given the limited storage space and our wish to maintain its ethos.
Thank you very much again for your continuing support for the Loaves and Fishes families.
Carole and Francein email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org