Saturday, March 28, 2020

In their own words: Day 32

Phil 4.11-13

I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Contentment is a precious thing. It is far more than a comfy pair of slippers, a mug of cocoa and a roaring fire to relax in front of. It is the state of wanting what we have, or at least accepting it, rather than having to have what we want all the time. We know contentment when we feel it, but it is hard to summon at will. Paul, from his prison cell, says that it is something that can be learned, however. What is the “secret”  to this? He has found it by discovering that he “can do all things through God who strengthens me.” Whatever happens, Paul has found that he cannot fall out of the hands of God. His love is indestructible.

When did you last feel truly content? How content are you with your life at the moment? Are there things you need to change to find the contentment God wills for you, or do you need to come to terms with the things you have which you can’t change? 

No comments:

Post a Comment