Monday, March 16, 2020

And in other news...

...and in other news...

A weekly Co***vi**s free zone of bits and bobs from Seal Church.
 
I'm going to try to produce a weekly newsletter like this during the current "situation", with some of the things you might miss out on if you aren't able to get to church, and some, (hopefully) cheery-uppy extras!
If you can't be with us in person in church for a while, you can also sign up for a weekly phone call either from me, or from someone else on the church's pastoral team, by emailing me your name and telephone number or phoning 07510 522292, or returning the slip of paper on the form  downloadable here.  There are also printed copies in church. The phone scheme will swing into action if church services have to be cancelled, or if you tell me that you won't be able to get to church for a while, whichever is the sooner. 
This week's sermon was about Jesus' meeting with a Samaritan woman at a well. The story is in John's Gospel Chapter 4. 5- 42. This lonely, rejected woman discovered that she was loved and respected by Jesus, and it changed her life.

Read the sermon here on our sermon blog, or find a printable version here. 




We sang "I heard the voice of Jesus say" - a hymn which draws on the imagery of this story.  Hear it below on Youtube, or read the words below (and sing it for yourself!)
  
I heard the voice of Jesus say,
  “Come unto Me, and rest;
Lay down, thou weary one, lay down
  Thy head upon My breast.”
I came to Jesus as I was,
  Weary, and worn, and sad;
I found in Him a resting-place,
  And He has made me glad.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
  “Behold, I freely give
The living water: thirsty one,
  Stoop down, and drink, and live.”
I came to Jesus, and I drank
  Of that life-giving stream;
My thirst was quenched, my soul revived,
  And now I live in Him.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
  “I am this dark world’s Light;
Look unto Me, thy morn shall rise,
  And all thy day be bright.”
I looked to Jesus, and I found
  In Him my Star, my Sun;
And in that Light of life I’ll walk
  Till trav’lling days are done.
Words: Horatio Bonar. Tune, traditional English folk tune, arranged by Ralph Vaughan Williams 
Do you have any suggestions for cheering books to read or films to recommend?
Talking to my mother today, she mentioned Rumer Godden, and Rosemary Sutcliffe's "The Mark of the Horse Lord". I often turn to "Cold Comfort Farm" or P.G. Wodehouse when I need comfort reading.

If you are trying to avoid depressing news, Radio 4 Extra seems to be a good place to go. It often has good old radio programmes. If you haven't discovered the Freeview channel  81, Talking Pictures, you might like to give it a go too. It has reruns of classic films and TV shows.

Let me know if you've got any good suggestions for comforting books, films or things you like to do when you need cheering up, and I will try to include them in a future newsletter.
This prayer was one which my old Headmistress, the formidable Miss Bradley, used to read often at my school assemblies. The phrase that stayed with me was "gallant and high-hearted happiness", something that even as an adolescent I could see was a valuable thing to cultivate!
Do you have any favourite prayers to share? Let me know if you do, and I'll pass them on. 
And finally, a basket of kittens, because a basket of kittens never did anyone any harm...

Anne Le Bas
Vicar, St Peter and St Paul, Seal
07510 522292
priest@sealpeterandpaul.com
www.sealpeterandpaul.com

follow us on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/stpeterandpaulseal/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/stpeterandpaulseal/
Blog:  www.sealpeterandpaul.blogspot.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment