Saturday, March 28, 2009

Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali to step down

This morning it was announced that Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali, who has been Bishop of Rochester for the last 15 years is to step down in September.
I have pasted the text of his letter to the clergy and laity of the diocese below:

From The Bishop of Rochester, to clergy and laity in the Diocese of Rochester.

March 2009

"Dear Colleague

I have decided that the time is now right for me to step down as Bishop of Rochester as from 1 September 2009. I will have been Bishop in the Diocese for nearly 15 years and during this time have valued my modest part in the life of the Church locally, nationally and globally.

I am hoping to work with a number of church leaders from areas where the church is under pressure who have asked me to assist them with education and training for their particular situation. Details of this arrangement are still being worked out.

We thank God for his blessings and for friends we have made in the Diocese in the past 15 years. I am so grateful to God for the friendship and loyalty of those around us and ask for your prayers as we take this step of faith 'not, knowing where we are going' (Heb II: 8).

Although I will be around, my official engagements in the diocese will cease after I have completed the Visitations in June, giving time for handover, some holiday and moving. My farewell service for the Diocese will be held at Rochester Cathedral on 12th September 2009 at 3.15 p.m. and further details will be circulated at a later date. Details about the process of appointing a new Bishop and the arrangements during the interregnum will also be published later.

Thank you for your fellowship in the Gospel these many years and I pray that God will continue to bless your own ministry as you proclaim Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit.

In Christ's service"

[Michael Nazir-Ali]

No comments:

Post a Comment