Print out today's Boredom Buster here.
OUT AND ABOUT
Go for a walk to your nearest park, open space or woodland. Take a box or a bag with you. See what “treasure” you can find.
• “skeleton” leaves, where just the ribs of the leaf are left
• Prickly holly leaves
• acorns and other seeds
• pine cones
• Different sorts of tree bark
• empty snail shells (make sure they are empty!)
Don’t pull anything from the trees or plants – just pick things up off the floor.
Take your treasures home with you.
What can you make out of them?
• You could make an animal out of a pine cone
• You could make a model landscape using the things you have picked up, arranging them on a cardboard base.
• You could make a mobile by tying them onto a twig.
• You could make a leaf rubbing, by putting a piece of paper on top of a leaf and rubbing a crayon or pencil lightly over it.
• You could make and decorate a special case or box for your “treasures”
Pretend your treasure is really something else. You can make up anything you like, so long as it isn’t true!
“It might look like a twig, but really it is part of a tiny ladder used by a mouse to climb up onto the roof of his house to mend the holes that let the rain in…”
“It’s not a leaf; it’s the scale of a fierce dragon…”
A surprise story
You need someone to play this with you.
Put all your treasures into a bag.
One of you pulls out a treasure without looking and starts telling a story which includes that treasure.
If you are stuck for something to say you might ask yourself…
• Who did it belong to?
• What did they use it for?
• Where did it come from?
• Is someone looking for it?
• How did it come to be where you found it?
• Does it have any magic powers?
• What will happen to it now?
When you have made up a beginning, someone else pulls out another treasure and has to carry on the story, using that treasure somehow…
Keep going as long as you can or until the bag is empty!
Put all your treasures on a tray. Someone then secretly takes one treasure away while everyone else has their eyes closed.
• Which treasure is missing?
The Bible says: the Lord your God has chosen you to be his people, his treasured possession. (Deuteronomy 7.6
Have you got anything that is really special to you? How would you feel if you lost it? How do you look after it?
The Bible says that we are special to God and he will never lose or forget us.