Saturday, March 15, 2014

Teach us to pray: 10

Praying with the Bible: Lectio Divina (For more about this technique see here.)

Sit quietly and be aware of coming into the presence of God. Ask for God's help as you read so that you can hear his voice.
Read the passage several times slowly.
As you read , be aware of any particular word or phrase which stands out for you.
Repeat that word or phrase to yourself over and over slowly, like a mantra. Allow yourself to be aware of any thoughts or associations that come to your mind as you repeat the words and just stay with those thoughts. As your prayer time ends, be aware of what thoughts or questions you might be taking away from it, and thank God for these.

Psalm 119: 1-8

Happy are those whose way is blameless,
   who walk in the law of the Lord.
Happy are those who keep his decrees,
   who seek him with their whole heart,
who also do no wrong,
   but walk in his ways.
You have commanded your precepts
   to be kept diligently.
O that my ways may be steadfast
   in keeping your statutes!
Then I shall not be put to shame,
   having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
I will praise you with an upright heart,
   when I learn your righteous ordinances.
I will observe your statutes;
   do not utterly forsake me.

No comments:

Post a Comment